This week I chose to read the article “Bridges Stockholm 2018” by Eve Torrence.
The article is a summary of the events and exhibits of the 2018 Bridges conference in Stockholm Sweden. It begins with a detailed description of the location the conference was hosted at, including the mathematical architecture such as the pentagonal tessellation on the ramp leading to the main entrance (see photo below).
STOP - I am stunned by the creativity of all the participants in this conference! It’s amazing how they’ve brought together so many different disciplines with the common theme of mathematics. It really highlights for me how isolated math is at the highschool level. It also reminds me of how my own mathematical creativity has stagnated. I’ve been teaching the same 2 grades for over 10 years. I used to try really hard to bring in artistic and creative elements into my classroom and I’ve lost that over the last few years.
Has anyone else brought the arts into their classroom? What did you do? How did it go?
Activity
For this activity, I was assigned to the Bridges 2021 art gallery. I chose to replicate the piece by Conan Chadbourne, as it reminded me of quilting. It was also one of the only pieces that I felt I actually understood the gist of the mathematics that were used to create it! Below is a side by side comparison of the original piece and my own.
The mathematics of symmetry (especially in the forms of rotation and reflection) were used to create these 12 grids. It turns out that when working with 4 x 4 grids, you can partition the grids into nearly 213,000 different ways. However, there are exactly 12 that have a four fold dihedral symmetry. If you're like me and aren’t too sure what exactly four fold dihedral symmetry is, I’ve included a definition below!
Even though I thought this would be a doable challenge for myself, I still found myself stuck on how to recreate the entire piece. It seemed overwhelmingly complicated for some reason. I started by trying to fit the entire piece onto a single sheet of graph paper, and quickly gave up. My daughter, who was watching me struggle, suggested that I look at it as individual pieces rather than one big picture. This was so much easier! I ended up creating each individual piece and then cutting them out and arranging them on a table in the same orientation as the original artwork. This process really helped to solidify the concepts that were used by the original artist. I had thought about creating a black/white/grey version, but ended up going with coloured grids as well. I felt it enhanced the symmetry features more than the monochromatic version.
Four fold dihedral symmetry - eight subunits are related to each other by one 4-fold axis and two 2-fold axes.
References
Conan Chadbourne. (2021) Bridges. https://gallery.bridgesmathart.org/exhibitions/2021-bridges-conference/conan-chadbourne
Eve Torrence (2019), Bridges 2018, Nexus Journal
I have taught in elementary for number of years and have found that it is relatively very easy to design cross-curricular activities. Teaching high school Mathematics (in the system that we are in) can be very alienating experience. As a high school Math teacher, I also feel very limited in the ways I can incorporate Arts into my teaching. The minimal ways in the which I have used Arts in my classroom is for teaching about lines of symmetry, patterns. Most recently with my grade 8 class, we integrated ART in our learnings about Scales and proportions.
ReplyDeleteIt indeed is very inspiring and astonishing to see the work out there that very seamlessly integrates the work from various disciplines. Reading through examples is inspiring. I have really enjoyed exploring the various pieces of art on Bridges Website.
I too was really impressed with the examples of creative mathematics at the Bridges conferences!
ReplyDeleteI would also like to try doing some art-based math activities with may classes. I teach gr9 (science and math) and I find the math topics in the gr9 curriculum are tricky to translate into artistic or hands-on activities. Josh (from our cohort) recommended this book to me on how to draw indigenous art forms: https://ravenpublishing.com/collections/all/products/learning-by-doing-northwest-coast-native-indian-art
I ordered a copy a few months ago, but haven't used it yet. I want to come up with something that gets students using it with some similar figure/scale factor math. I haven't got to that unit yet, but I am going to talk to our school's indigenous ed. team to see if we could collaborate on something.